The End

Just like that, I have begun to write my last post. As I mentioned in my prior post, I have learned a lot this semester regarding health management, but also in health policy as well. I'm sure those who read my blog, you've noticed that I had the tendency to talk about policy issues regarding our health system today. For me, I have grown in the sense that I became more aware of the issues we still need to address regarding our health care system.

Over the course of this semester, there have been changes in our health care system, and there have been surprises along the way. For instance, when Maine residents approved to expand Medicaid, despite their governor having a fierce opposition against it. 80,000 Maine residents will become eligible for Medicaid as a result of the referendum. This had marked the first time where voters had the chance to decide on the issue rather than their governor/legislator. Other states whose leaders have resisted expanding the program had closely watched the campaign, particularly Utah and Idaho. Newly formed committees had been working to get Medicaid expansion on next year's ballots (Goodnough, 2017). Supporters of Medicaid expansion saw this as an opportunity to save the hospitals in Maine situated in rural areas facing financial issues from closing, create more jobs in the state and provide care that the most vulnerable people need the most.

Seeing this change happen is what gives me hope for our health care system, for hospitals located in rural areas. In my blog post a while ago, I mentioned that hospitals in rural areas that were closing had been situated in states that did not expand Medicaid. It goes to show that to some extent, Medicaid expansion does provide benefits that can go a long way. By no means is the ACA perfect, but therein lies proof that expanding Medicaid can vastly help not only to people who cannot afford Medicaid, but for our hospitals that simply cannot stay afloat without assistance.

Thank you to those who read and commented on my blog, it was a joy to hear from you and hear your perspectives/stances. Before I end this post, did any of you notice that my titles were (mainly) based on Grey's anatomy titles and songs? It's one of my favorite shows!

Enjoy your holidays, and best wishes to a Happy New Year!

Goodnough, A. (2017). Maine voters approve medicaid expansion, a rebuke of gov. lepage. New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/us/maine-medicaid-healthcare.html

Comments

Popular Posts